Medicine Buddha

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Environmentally conscious car care

June and July are foggy months in our town, the dust marries the mist, and they tightly stick together on.. especially cars. After 4 days, my car looks like it has been parked at the airport for 8 weeks.
When I accidentally brush against it, I have to change my clothes to go to work. Since water is sparse in California, going to the car wash is very wasteful; most of the spray gets carried away by the wind anyway;  you get all wet, your pants are soggy at the bottom and you have to change your clothes again to go to work. That's 2 laundries in one day, more water wasted. As a result,
                                                       I developed the 1 bucket car wash.
The solvent is 1 squirt of dish washing soap only because it cleans glass as well as metal. The car has to be parked in the shade, one old washcloth and 2 small towels will do. Washing one part at a time and drying it right after, is the trick. Let's say we start with the hood, my favorite part; wash and dry. Good extended forward bends (also for the roof) and lots of arm work-out, shoulder rotations and balancing. No need for the gym today, you've done your yoga for the day; of course must you stay with the breath.


Our caring hands glide gently over every small part of our beloved car. After all, it is the extension of my living room, equipped with a cushioned seats, stereo, drink, small Buddha, dried flowers and essential oils. And it carries me where ever I wish to go. Great tool that is worth caring for.


I know this looks like my living room, but no, it's all on the dash. I just need a reminder to stay present and equanimous in traffic, keeps me smiling instead of cursing.
The experience heightens when you do it with a friend. We actually washed each other's cars. Exchanging thoughts, possibly singing some tune or mantra and caressing every part of this magic vehicle. You get to know it really well this way. 

Try it,
and the environment will thank you.


1 comment:

  1. i applaud your eco-consciousness for washing with so little water. but what does mother nature think of your car-worship? i guess we do what we can...

    ReplyDelete