Medicine Buddha

Monday, July 12, 2010

silver care

"Is it worth it", I ask myself, "to care for the old cutlery that I have inherited?" I could just use the stainless steel that is abundant everywhere.
Well, as you know me by now, I decided to care. So I took the old toothbrush and Tom's peppermint toothpaste and got to work.
Many hands during 3 generations must have touch and polished these. How many lips have slipped over the smooth spoons, worn thin by time and use? I realized that the shape of my grandmother's spoons is more pleasurable to my mouth than my own that were made 60 years later, food tasted better sliding over thin silver. You all know the expression: 'Born with a silver spoon'. Chemists have found that silver has an antibacterial quality. We can now buy it as a supplement to complement other minerals we ingest.
I'll just lick my spoon.
useless, but wait.....




from left to right: my father's, my wedding ladle, grandma's and from my own set.
You see the different designs through 145 years.

Here's a close up. The crown of barons has 7 prongs, that of counts have 9.




I guess this needs a bit more caring. It was grandmother's.




That was my Dad's. I could go on and on. But there has more important caring to be done.
Yet, this is history; old German tradition deserves some care.

No comments:

Post a Comment